On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 7:11 PM, Brian Eaton <bea...@google.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 11:42 AM, pkeane <pjke...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I would just mention that this proposal (essentially making the
>> callback url immutable)
>
> a) that proposal does not make the callback URL "immutable".
> Consumers and SPs can both mess with it.  It just makes sure the user
> at the browser doesn't mess with it.

Sorry -- I meant an attacker could not change it.

>>  limits the likelihood that the user who
>> authenticated w/ the SP is NOT user who requests an access token, it
>> does not actually verify that it is the same user.
>
> b) that's what the unpredictable callback token is for.

Does that demonstrate it is the same user?  I believe it makes it
highly likely, but not "verifyable" (in standard authentication terms.
Nothing is 100% verifyable).

The wiki page states 6.8: "The Service Provider MUST check that the
OAuth verifier was originally issued for the OAuth consumer key and
request token." But in the described exploit, the attacker has both
the consumer key AND request token.  The unpredictable callback token
needs to *also* rely on a "user identifier" to be secure.  Since the
consumer does not have a notion of identity, "state" must be saved
either on the SP or on the user him/herself between user
authentication and granting of access token.  The problem here (and
why this is so difficult) is that the attacker has access to the
"secrets."

I would note -- a requirement that the SP keeps a store of the
unpredictable callback token (assuming user identifier is mixed in)
and checks it before granting the access token DOES make this
"verifyably" the same user.

--peter