On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 5:23 PM, Luca Mearelli <luca.meare...@gmail.com> wrote:

> wouldn't it help with detecting the consumers that are able to follow
> the revised protocol even if unable to get the redirect? i.e. those
> able to close the loop passing the verifier code but requiring the
> user to input it since they cannot receive the callback.

Yes; that's a different thing, and maybe it makes sense to have some
kind of "out-of-band" parameter for consumers that are unable to
receive callbacks. However, I'd argue that this should happen not at
the request token step, but beforehand, in the out-of-band
configuration of consumers. That way if a downloadable consumer key /
secret gets stolen (as they will), it's not possible for the attacker
to use them on a website and avoid the verification key requirement.

b.