On 4/30/09 7:19 AM, Blaine Cook wrote:
> Looks good, with the exception of the 'oob' value – why not just say
> that an empty OR absent callback parameter fulfills the same role as
> 'oob'? There are also plenty of service providers that require static
> configuration of the callback, and in those cases the callback
> parameter would be absent when obtaining the request token.

I'm guessing Eran's concern was being able to differentiate between a
1.0 consumer vs. a 1.0A consumer.  Having an absent callback parameter
could be either.

The rationale of sending a magic string like "oob" because "we can't
trust that the consumer and/or server's HTTP implementation to not be
BROKEN when handling empty parameters" irks me, but I didn't feel like
arguing about it.

If I were king, I'd say that an empty callback parameter is required for
1.0A consumers, and absent signifies 1.0 consumers.

Really, why not bump the version to 1.1?  Is there real magic behind the
version number?  What's the point of versioning the protocol if revving
it is painful?

--
Dossy Shiobara              | do...@panoptic.com | http://dossy.org/