My take on this is that MUSTs MAY be ignored. ;-)

To echo John's concerns here, the worst-case scenario is that client
libraries implement "no SSL present" as a gentle reminder warning with
a flag (possibly the default) to disable those HTTPS warnings. Clients
that behave in that way should be flagged as non-compliant and
publicly humiliated. If we just write SHOULD for HTTPS/secure channel
support, then those clients are acting "properly."

If WRAP is aiming to just be a replacement for Cookie auth, then why
don't we just add a redirection profile for issuing cookies? They work
now, refreshing them is built-in, etc, etc. Instead, what we're trying
to do is build something better, more secure, and more aligned with
the sorts of behaviours we see and want to encourage on the web.

b.