IETF standards can do one of two things: they can set a high level of
security or they can clearly point out where they are insecure. If we do not
require HTTPS for bearer tokens, we will have to put a big disclaimer that
doing so without some other protections is insecure.

The choice is between setting a higher bar and letting those who don't use
HTTPS be called 'not in compliance', or set a low bar and put a SHOULD with
a strongly worded warning.

I strongly believe we have a responsibility to improve internet security.
The only tool we are given in this working group is calling an
implementation 'not in compliance'. Calling something insecure does not
deter developers from doing stupid things (hence the wide use of Basic auth
where it clearly must not be used per the spec). Calling something
in-compliance when it is not falls under false marketing...

At the end, you are free to deploy whatever you want. But if you are going
to deploy OAuth in an insecure way (regardless of how insecure your other
interfaces are), you don't get say it is compliant. Is anyone here naïve
enough to think that the first time such an insecure OAuth token is stolen
and abused, people will care that it was ignoring the SHOULD? The company
will say that their implementation is in compliance and move the blame on to
OAuth.

Go implement whatever you want. But the spec should set the highest
practical bar it can, and requiring HTTPS is trivial.

As a practical note, if the WG reaches consensus to drop the MUST, I would
ask the chairs to ask the security area and IESG to provide guidance whether
they would approve such document. The IESG did not approve OAuth 1.0a for
publication as an RFC until this was changed to a MUST (for PLAINTEXT) among
other comments, and that with a strong warning.

There is also an on going effort to improve cookie security. Do we really
want OAuth to become the next weakest link?

EHL