++

Igor

Torsten Lodderstedt wrote:
Hi Blaine,
My take on this is that MUSTs MAY be ignored. ;-)

To echo John's concerns here, the worst-case scenario is that client
libraries implement "no SSL present" as a gentle reminder warning with
a flag (possibly the default) to disable those HTTPS warnings. Clients
I don't understand your objections. If a resource provider decides to support HTTPS only, no client w/o HTTPS support can connect thus circumventing this policy.
that behave in that way should be flagged as non-compliant and
publicly humiliated.
agreed :-)
If we just write SHOULD for HTTPS/secure channel
support, then those clients are acting "properly."
Why not explicitly state in the spec that HTTPS support is a MUST HAVE for libraries?
If WRAP is aiming to just be a replacement for Cookie auth, then why
don't we just add a redirection profile for issuing cookies? They work
now, refreshing them is built-in, etc, etc. Instead, what we're trying
to do is build something better, more secure, and more aligned with
the sorts of behaviours we see and want to encourage on the web.
There are a variety of deployment scenarios for OAuth2 (e.g. internet small/large, intranet) as well as replay countermeasures (encryption, short-living tokens, restricted permissions, ...). Can we really anticipate/consider all of them and select HTTPS as the only solution? Even the spec for BASIC-Authentication (http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2617.txt) does not force a certain mean of transport protection. It just recommends to consider security enhancements:

---- from http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2617.txt

   The Basic authentication scheme is not a secure method of user
   authentication, nor does it in any way protect the entity, which is
   transmitted in cleartext across the physical network used as the
   carrier. HTTP does not prevent additional authentication schemes and
   encryption mechanisms from being employed to increase security or the
   addition of enhancements (such as schemes to use one-time passwords)
   to Basic authentication.

   The most serious flaw in Basic authentication is that it results in
   the essentially cleartext transmission of the user's password over
   the physical network. It is this problem which Digest Authentication
   attempts to address.

   Because Basic authentication involves the cleartext transmission of
   passwords it SHOULD NOT be used (without enhancements) to protect
   sensitive or valuable information.

----
HTTPS is state of the art and should from in my opinion be the _recommended_ option. This leaves implementors enough freedom to use other security measures where neccessary/sufficient/applicable.

regards,
Torsten.
b.