On 21 June 2010 08:04, Dirk Balfanz <balf...@google.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
> I think I owe the list a proposal for signatures.
> I wrote something down that liberally borrows ideas from Magic Signatures,
> SWT, and (even the name from) JSON Web Tokens.
> Here is a short document (called "JSON Tokens") that just explains how to
> sign something and verify the signature:
> http://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1kv6Oz_HRnWa0DaJx_SQ5Qlk_yqs_7zNAm75-FmKwNo4

"signature is a base64-encoded string of the signature bits." should
be websafe-base64?

"the current time is not after the expiration time of the token
(defined as not_before + session_length)" should be not_before +
token_lifetime, right? But I'd prefer a not_after instead.

What is a Service Descriptor? Is this something to do with webfinger,
or something else?

In the HMAC keys section you describe the keys as symmetric, which is
strictly accurate, but more normally called shared keys for this use.

Obviously you'll need to be a bit more specific about what you mean by
"RSA-SHA256".

> Here is an extension of JSON Tokens that can be used for signed OAuth
> tokens:
> http://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1JUn3Twd9nXwFDgi-fTKl-unDG_ndyowTZW8OWX9HOUU

As you know, I hate the term "non-repudation". Can't you just call it "signing"?

"Protection against leaked authentication tokens: Protocols such as
OAuth2 use bearer tokens, which may leak when used over non-SSL.
Signing requests when using bearer tokens lets the recipient of such a
request verify that the issuer of the request was a legitimate holder
of the bearer token." - only true if you make the checking of the
nonce a MUST instead of "may". And even then, MitM wins, of course.

Why is body_hash optional?

> Here is a different extension of JSON Tokens that can be used for 2-legged
> flows. The idea is that this could be used as a drop-in replacement for SAML
> assertions in the OAuth2 assertion flow:
> http://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1s4kjRS9P0frG0ulhgP3He01ONlxeTwkFQV_pCoOowzc

You use the abbreviation AS before the full name Authorization Server.

> I also have started to write some code to implement this as a>
> proof-of-concept.
>
> Thoughts? Comments?

Nice.