A couple of advantages of separating:

1) everything but the envelope data (key_id, signer, algorithm) gets
encrypted

2) if the encrypted data is an object in the JSON, then it has been base64
encoded, and then gets base64 encoded again. Much more efficient to include
the base64 encoded binary of the encrypted data as a separate field (this is
what motivated me to this separation to begin with

-- Dick