Nat and Ben,

>>> In addition to Ben's questions, I have another. For X.509, you seem to

>>> be using DER. How do you express the entire certificate chain using

>>> DER?

>>> (With PEM, you can just concatenate ... )

>> With DER you can concatenate, too, of course. There's also PKCS#n (for

>> some value of n which I forget ... 12?) which allows bundling of cert

>> chains.

> That's PKCS#12, I suppose. I had under an impression that PKCS#12 includes the

> private key, though.

A *.p7c file can be used to hold any number of certificates. It is a
BER-encoded PKCS#7 value, now known as Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS)
standard [RFC 5652<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5652#section-5.1>]. It is the
ASN.1 syntax used for S/MIME signed email. If you only want to send
certificates, just leaving out the content-to-be-signed, and the signatures.

Such a file can hold any number of certificates, including public-key
certificates, attribute certificates, or other certificate formats.

It can also hold CRLs and other revocation information (including OCSP
draft-turner-additional-cms-ri-choices<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-turner-additional-cms-ri-choices>).

CMS/PKCS#7 is better for this purpose than PKCS#12.

--

James Manger