Hey Dick, in answering my questions you made my point. If keys are
managed out of band – as is done in OAuth 1.0 and what was done in the
OAuth 2.0 Core spec until signatures were extracted – then having a
key id is not needed. I certainly understand what they're used for,
but don't find them relevant as part of the OAuth conversation today.

And yes, Applied Cryptography is worth reading. :)

--David