I'm having some doubts about the code_and_token response type.

The reason why we have both token and code response type is that each has
specific security characteristics. However, the mix raises questions about
token scope and other properties.

For example, -11 states that the scope in the token request can only be equal
or less than the scope requested in the authorization request. This means the
token issued in the redirection (which is considered less trusted due to lack
of client authentication) can have a greater scope than that issued using the
code, but not the other way around which actually makes more sense.

If there is no difference in the properties of the two tokens issued (one
directly in the redirection and another via the code), why do we need this
complexity? Why can't the client just pass along the same token to the server?
If there is a difference, it can only be that the token obtained using the code
is "more powerful".

Adding two scope parameter to the authorization request seems complex, but so
other ideas on asking for one authorization with two different tokens issued as
a result.

Any thoughts?

It would be most useful if someone who deployed this (or is planning to) can
explain how they are using it. Mostly if they are issuing tokens with the same
or different security properties.

In -12, I am moving back to the -05 specification structure of profiles
(flows). This means this code_and_token hybrid needs to be explained beyond
just the definition of the extra parameter and response format. But I don't
know how to describe such a profile or what the security considerations for
such a hybrid look like.

If we can't nail this down quickly, I propose we move this out of the
specification and let someone who has implementation experience define it as an
extension.

EHL