I think you're reading the section differently from me. My reading is
that the Normalized Request String is composed of each of the itemized
elements, with newlines appended to them, concatenated together.

"ITEM_1\nITEM_2\n[...]ITEM_8\nITEM_9\n"

My reading is that none of the items - per se - end with a \n. From
the list, item 1 is "The access token", not "The access token followed
by a newline." So, by analogy, I read Section 3.3.1.1 as telling me
how to construct the string ITEM_9 - not telling me how to construct
the string "ITEM_9\n".

I think you're reading the spec as saying that the NormalizedRequestString is
"ITEM_1ITEM_2[...]ITEM_8ITEM_9

so that the trailing '\n's are part of the ITEMs. But I can't square
that with the description of the items in the list using the text
currently there.

For what it's worth, I'm not being pernickety for no reason - I came
across this because I wrote a bunch of tests for my
parameter-normalization function, based on reading the description of
the algorithm, and then found this issue only because pasting the
example from the spec into my testsuite caused it to fail, due to the
extra trailing newline.

Toby

--
http://timetric.com
2nd Floor, White Bear Yard, 144a Clerkenwell Road, London EC1R 5DF