Am 31.05.2011 20:00, schrieb Doug Tangren:

-Doug Tangren
http://lessis.me

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 1:41 PM, Chuck Mortimore <cmortim...@salesforce.com <mailto:cmortim...@salesforce.com>> wrote:

    Updated in language I just sent out – thanks.

    On that note, we currently return refresh_token using the implicit
    grant type under certain controlled circumstances.   Facebook in
    turn uses the implicit grant type, and simply issues long term
    access_tokens.

    Are there any strong objections to adding optional support for
    referesh_token on the implicit grant along with security
    considerations?

I was under the impression that one should not issue a refresh_token in an implicit grant flow because in order to make a refresh_token request call, you'd need send client credentials including the clients secret which an implicit client can not store securely.

It is possible to obtain refresh tokens using the authz code grant type without client authentication. So why not do the same with implicit grant? As long as the user authorizes the issuance of such tokens I don't see any problem. The refresh token is a client instance secret associated with the grant authorized by the end user and is issued to the originator of the authz request only. The problem with native clients is the distribution of client secrets not their aibility to securely store a dynamically created instance-related secret.

regards,
Torsten.

I think there is still a usability issue with the implicit flow in general where there is no way in the spec to obtain an access token without re-asking the user for authorization a second time even if the user has already authorized your client.