Thanks Barry,

We had to partially roll our own registration spec because there was no common
one at the time.  We did however partially base ours on the UMA one and now we
have sever groups working on
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-oauth-dyn-reg/ based on
implementation experience to produce a common way to do it.

I don't think this is the first spec to develop that way.

It is a interesting discussion to have on how much negotiation should happen at
each level.

In some ways this contrasts the approach taken by GSSAPI vs SAML where in
GSSAPI things are negotiated a a low lever and in SAML they are generally
preconfigured in some out of band way.  In part it may be the difference
between something that is session oriented vs OAuth/SAML SSO that are using
REST like bindings.

Now in SAML as part of the spec there is saml-meta-data that is supported in
some (not enough) implementations because it is not MTI (sone of us would like
to change that).

Part of the driving forces between the approaches is that when things are
federated there needs to be some sort of trust model and that is hard to
anticipate in the lower levels.

I don't think it has to be completely one way or the other, but there will be
resistance to duplicating things in lower elves that are likely to be
duplicated anyway as part of the higher level trust model.

In Connect we have the problem that the protocol needs to support simple social
networks all the way to three letter agencies.
Those have very different trust models and even preferred algorithms.

We have struggled with the Mandatory to Deploy features for interoperability,
Mandatory to Implement is not useful if it is not also mandatory to deploy.
So in the case of token endpoint authentication by HTTP basic it is reasonable
to say a OAuth library needs to support http basic, it is not reasonable to say
that a deployer that needs SAML assertions signed with EC keys cross certified
with the federal bridge has to deploy it.

That is where we get into the area Stephen Farrell has been raising about MTI
not being required to deploy.

That is fine if we are trying to specify library functionality, however it may
not help real interoperability for applications.

We likely need to have both.  I can see saying that MTI for a library calling
itself compliant with the specs needs to implement a minimum number of
algorithms and token types.   That is probably an easy agreement to come to.

Agreeing on what features can or should be negotiated at the lower level vs
pushed down from the configuration of the application using them is the harder
part.

I look forward to the discussion.

John B.