From: oauth-boun...@ietf.org [mailto:oauth-boun...@ietf.org] On Behalf Of
Justin Richer
Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2013 8:02 AM
To: George Fletcher
Cc: oauth@ietf.org WG
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] Registration: Internationalization of Human-Readable
names

On the surface this does simplify things, but the issue I forsee with it is
that I want to be able to call "client.getClientName()" and always get
*something* out of it if there are *any* client_name fields at all. So in this
world if I take a client library that assumes en-us and it talks to a server
that only looks for es-cl, there's a very real chance of the client name not
getting set at all. I think that's a problem.

This is why I think the default field name (without the language tag) really
should be required and should be left undefined as to what language and script
it is. Essentially, "It's a UTF8 String, hope for the best". If you want
something more specific and smart about localization, then you can support the
language tags. If you just want to have a string to store and throw at the
user, then you can just use the bare field name.

In other words, we take what we have now (which works for a
non-internationalized case where everyone just assumes a common
language/script), and we augment it with features that let it be smarter if you
want it to be smarter. Make the simple case simple, make the complicated case
possible.

 -- Justin