+1 to Hannes comments.

Hi Mike,

thanks for your quick response.

On 06/05/2014 07:46 PM, Mike Jones wrote:
Hannes, the Access Token and ID Token do quite different things and
have different structures and properties.  The Access Token is an
opaque value that grants access to resources.  An ID Token is a
non-opaque JWT security token that makes claims about the
authentication that occurred.  You can have one without the other or
you can have both, depending upon the use case.  Thus, trying to move
information between them would be problematic in several regards.
Regarding the different structure between the access token and the ID
token: As I tried to explain with my example they two may carry almost
the same information (if the access token carries the information per
value and uses the JWT encoding).

Regarding the opaque nature: I think it is important to also add for
whom the tokens are opaque. From the text in the document the access
token and the ID token seem to be opaque for the client but they are not
opaque for the party generating them (=authorization server) and also
not opaque for the party consuming them (=resource server).

Also, trying to overload the Access Token to convey authentication
information has been demonstrated in practice to be fraught with
peril, and has resulted in some of the most prominent security
breaches related to the misuse of OAuth.
The problems with the security breaches had nothing to do with the
encoding of the information in the token itself, which is what I am
referring to.

Ciao
Hannes

-- Mike

-----Original Message----- From: OAuth
[mailto:oauth-boun...@ietf.org] On Behalf Of Phil Hunt Sent:
Thursday, June 05, 2014 8:54 AM To: Hannes Tschofenig Cc:
oauth@ietf.org Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] Question regarding
draft-hunt-oauth-v2-user-a4c

You are correct. Just adding to access token would make a lot of devs
happy and that certainly should be discussed.

Two requirements issues:

1. A key use case is passing auth ctx only. An access token means
asking for consent to access something. This causes many sites to
loose new users. Authen only can be implicit consent.

2.  Compatibility with OpenId ID Token and flows.

3. There is a need to support re-auth and MFA/LOA negotiation. Eg web
site would like to obtain a higher level of assurance for a higher
risk action.

The non-tech requirement is the soln must be received by client and
service provider developers as easy to implement in addition to 6749
or even OAuth 1.1a. I mention it because devs feel this should be
trivial.  Your suggestion of adding to access token certainly fits
this.

Phil

On Jun 5, 2014, at 0:44, Hannes Tschofenig