One of the use cases is to return only a token that is NOT an access token and
is only an authentication assertion that is not opaque to the client.

A key concern is clients do not always want to ask users for consent to access
their profiles or any other resource.  They just want authentication.

How many times do we see things like login with Yahoo, Twitter, Facebook and
they apparently want access to too much information?  I’ve got lots of web site
developers who don’t want that because it looses registrations as a significant
percentage of users always refuse.  These developers  just want an authn ctx
and the easy-sign-on benefits.

>From this standpoint, having separate tokens makes sense.  One remains opaque
>to the client targeted for the resource server. The other is for the client.

You could have a new token type that can be dual-purpose and parseable to
everyone, but I think that may end up being more confusing.  It would also mean
impacts to resource servers to support a new non-opaque token type.

Phil

@independentid
www.independentid.com
phil.h...@oracle.com