FWIW, I am very interested in the general concept of a lightweight or OAuth
based token exchange mechanism. However, despite some distaste for the
protocol, our existing WS-Trust functionality has proven to be "good
enough" for most use-cases, which seems to prevent work on token exchange
from getting any real priority.

I have a few thoughts on
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-jones-oauth-token-exchange-00 which I've
been meaning to write down but haven't yet, so this seems like as good a
time as any.

I would really like to see a simpler request model that doesn't require the
request to be JWT encoded.

The draft mentions the potential confusion around On-Behalf-Of vs.
Impersonation Semantics. And it is confusing (to me anyway). In fact, the
use of Act-As and On-Behalf-Of seem to be reversed from how they are
defined in WS-Trust
<http://docs.oasis-open.org/ws-sx/ws-trust/v1.4/ws-trust.html> (this MS FAQ
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee748487.aspx> has less confusing
wording). They should probably be aligned with that prior work to avoid
further confusion. Or maybe making a clean break and introducing new terms
would be better.

I don't think the security_token_request grant type value is strictly legal
per RFC 6749. The ABNF at http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6749#appendix-A.10
would allow it but according to
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6749#section-4.5 extension grants need an
absolute URI as the grant type value (there's no grant type registry so the
URI is the only means of preventing collision).

On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 6:07 AM, Vladimir Dzhuvinov <vladi...@connect2id.com