You're generally right on track.  The RS needs to understand the token format
and needs to trust the AS.  You bring in all the "hwo do 2 entities maintain a
trust relationship in computing thing" here, because the RS needs to trust the
AS.  You can use a JWT (a common choice) as your token format which makes that
part fairly easy.  You do have decisions to make on whether you use symmetric
crypto or PK there.