1) You often need to deploy your cloud edge load balancer in TCP mode and
handle your own TLS termination if you want client authentication.
2) There are often many intermediates between your edge where client TLS is
terminated and your actual service.  You need to forward cert context from the
edge as protected headers to your AS.
3) It's not easy to use different trust roots per tenant for client
authentication.  SNI is not supported as a selector via off the shelf solutions
and requires a software defined network (SDN) solution.

On the FaaS side client complexity is there especially with OpenSSL bindings

1)
https://medium.com/@vaneek/using-mutual-tls-authentication-in-a-serverless-world-3afd19a6fe70

-Karl

On May 7, 2019, at 11:17 AM, Torsten Lodderstedt