From: Paul Smeulders [mailto:psmeulders@;idirect.com]

________

Hi folks,

I have made it public here that my ISP won't allow mail through this list to
my e-mail box. Has somethin' to do with Topica being  considered a spam
source (LOOK is pretty good at filtering junk mail out, so I'm probably
better off than sympaticos). Be that as it may, I find using the web
interface much nicer than receiving every message in my mailbox. My delete
key wears out.

I (under normal circumstances) can also post to the list by logging-in and
posting using the topica web interface. Well, really I can't, and that has
something to do with my security settings, but it doesn't seem to be
something Topica is helping me with. So I'm in a death-struggle with them.

All this being the case, I find I post less to the list. I think that's
pretty good, 'cuz I think more about what I'm going to say, and whom I might
offend.

I must say I thought closing the list to members-only MIGHT resolve some of
the flaming that goes on. It's harder to flame in a community where you WILL
someday meet your "targets" face to face. Happened to me, and I was
all-wrong about them. A good bit of growing for me, there.

Nevertheless, I hear (read) much dissatisfaction with the decision taken to
limit the list.

I think Les made a KEY point when he said essentially that this forum is
used by non-members to pressure the board on club policy. I often wonder why
non-members care so much about club policies, even if they are not members?

It's a case of "I wouldn't be a member of any club who would take me??"

Would the point be that IF such policy were in place, they WOULD join? I
dunno.

Perhaps we take Les' comment to heart, and find an alternative new process
whereby the Club executive can be legitmately pressured by the membership,
and where the comments of non-members can be received, aired out,  but
clearly judged as not requiring any Executive reply. I think we HAVE such a
process, it's just that we've become victims of the convenience that e-mail
and web-posting has provided, and our currrent formal process may be out of
date with respect to this.

Some will say "going to a bored meeting is inconvenient". I could reply,
hey, if you have a problem and want it fixed, be available and ready to help
fix it, don't just whine-digitally that it should be fixed by someone else.
If you can't come out and whine, it probably isn't important enough to you.
There are those who have done it, and it got results.

Now, having written that, I would agree we might need something more modern
and convenient than Bored Meeting appearances and all that. I can't think of
what it would be right now. Perhaps THAT's a good subject for dialog, rather
than just voting to keep status quo or not....it may keep the list as-is,
but it doesn't solve the problems that (apparently) the present structure
seems to present.

Our current process does exert more pressure to be civil to one another,
since it IS face-to-face. It's a first line in politeness.

See ya'll till I break another promise to Dave Hall to NOT inconvenience him
ever again. I tried.

Paul Smeulders

Club Office:      [EMAIL PROTECTED]  (613) 230-1064
Website: [EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://www.cyberus.ca/~obcweb
Newsletter:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]