Thanks for this post Teun. I agree with you completely, as I think,
will the OCA the ONW and the sector 1 CPF, for we are all working on a
formal request to the Premier, the Mayor, and the Commissioner of
Police to call on them to cause the people under their control to do
their jobs.
The Liquor Board fails us. According to the liquor board there are
some clubs that have not paid their 2010 licence fees which should
result in an automatic loss of the licence, requiring a new
application. Does it happen? No.
Magistrates who extend temporary licences to all and sundry at the
drop of a hat (or maybe something more substantial) fail us.
Prosecutors who squash or reduce fines duly given by SAPS, fail us.
SAPS fail us every time they drive past a noisy bar with its doors
wide open and mindless doof doof blaring out into the streets, or a
bar still trading after its closing time, or a bar allowing people to
spill outside and drink in the streets, or noisy patrons disturbing
our sleep as they stagger home. There is a constipation in the process
to institute Section 141 hearings into pubs and clubs who for example
serve alcohol to under age drinkers, serve alcohol to customers who
are inebriated, allow drug trade to take place on their premises.
Many of the pubs and clubs operating in Observatory do not comply with
the City of Cape Town's regulations and yet they continue to trade
even after having been fined and summonsed to court by the City.
It's bloody anarchy, and I for one, am fed up with it.
Observatory during the festival was a Tale of Two Cities. The music
festival put on on the Village Green was as good as it gets. Three
hours later the ugliest side of capitalist greed, drug and alcohol
abuse and many other forms of unaccepatble anti-social behaviour had
reduced our delightful suburb to something akin to Sodom and Gomorrah
I have personally stated that with concerted effort by the public
servants cited in this note, our problem can be solved within one
month. We have been working on these problems for a year and we have
achieved not much more than gathering data and laying down warnings.
Teun, I salute and thank you for the large contribution you personally
have made in this regard.
2011 needs to be the year in which we build on the foundations we have
laid. 2011 will be the year that the clubs and pubs in Observatory
agree to abide by the various laws which control them, agree to be
decent corporate citizens, agree to contribute positively to the image
of Observatory, or feel the full force of all the various public
servants empowered to ensure that they do so.
Brian Amery

PS. Obs - what do you say? If you agree, let's have a massive response
to Teun's post. It will help in our approaches to the powers that be.