Dear Trevor and Julia

As a resident, thank you to both of you for your sensitive and thoughtful responses to the many issues that are part of Observatory life. As a caution, be careful of calling somebody like Chakan Hislop a charlatan etc in a public forum like this. Lawsuits are not funny and I would hate to see either of you bedevilled by such things.

Michael

----- Original Message ----- From: "Trevor Hughes" <t...@thewildfig.co.za>
To: <obsnw@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Wednesday, December 08, 2010 10:18 AM
Subject: Re: [obsnw] Re: OBS FEST PRESS RELEASE

Julia

I did not mean to imply that you were not involved and just another of
the talking heads.

Chakan was clearly a huge mistake and I think most anyone you can
speak to will have some story about him that said that they ignored
all the signs that h was nothing bu a charlatan. Most of the time I
never understood him - probably because he just was babbling anyway.

I think that if next years festival can be be built on the foundations
of this yeas one we will be on to something. Sure there were problems
(like the cover charge inconveniencing residents) and yes there were
lots of sunglass sellers and boereworse stands. Bearing n mind that
Chakan had not really organized anything the way they festival came
together in about three weeks was a good effort.

I can completely understand you distancing yourself from Chakan as he
thought he was so important that you were a mere irritation to him
(thats the impression I got)

The festival simply had to go ahead and it did. I think the damage
caused to the brand by not appearing after it was said that it would,
would have had bad consequences for any further festivals.

I am as keen as you to see the books and I trust that Brian Amery kept
a good record of income and expenses. I have not yet had the chance to
chat to him about it but I can assure you from my side of things the
books will be transparent (I am a 20% stake holder in the festival
company)

Take care and have a great new year and festive season

Trev