Hi Aki,

> Hi Denis,
>
> 2010/2/4 Denis Kenzior <denk...@gmail.com>:
> >> +typedef void (*ofono_radio_settings_mode_query_cb_t)(const struct
> >>  ofono_error *error, +
> >>  enum ofono_radio_access_mode mode, +
> >>           void *data);
> >
> > I still say this part is not required.
> >
> >> +
> >> +struct ofono_radio_settings_driver {
> >> +     const char *name;
> >> +     int (*probe)(struct ofono_radio_settings *rs, unsigned int vendor,
> >> void *data); +    void (*remove)(struct ofono_radio_settings *rs);
> >> +     void (*query_mode)(struct ofono_radio_settings *rs,
> >> +                             ofono_radio_settings_mode_query_cb_t cb,
> >> void *data);
> >
> > Neither is query_mode.  This is a local modem setting, not a network
> > setting. There's simply no reason to query it when oFono can store the
> > settings.
>
> Even with storage, it's needed the very first time a new SIM card is
> inserted, no?

Not really, we can default to a safe setting (e.g. any) if no previous setting
has been saved.  We do this for GPRS, Cell Broadcasts, etc.

> > Lets just add ability to read the mode setting from storage and set it at
> > interface startup.
>
> I can agreee to storing SIM data, but for other settings that are
> anyway saved on the modem's non-volatile memory, this seems wrong.
> oFono is aimed to be usable also on the desktop using tethering, which
> means most of the time these settings are touched on the phone.

But also remember I want to keep all my settings when I switch SIMs.  On the
desktop that is a much likelier scenario (e.g. GPRS data cards), travel
between countries, etc. The radio access setting is likely to be specific to a
network provider (e.g. poor 3G coverage) rather than the device.

I agree tethering is a usecase we haven't considered properly yet, but
honestly I'm not sure the PC should be messing with radio preference settings
while tethered...

> (As an aside, I have right now two N900s connected to my laptop via
> USB, and was just making calls between them using oFono and d-feet.)

Nice :)

Regards,
-Denis