On Thursday 23 December 2010 04:44:52 ext Marcel Holtmann, you wrote:
> So the idea of having an oFono D-Bus API to export time information is
> just wrong from my point of view. The plugin inside oFono should tell
> the time daemon about this.

That would be race-prone by design. For all we know, the time daemon might be
started after oFono (or restarted). It's pretty basic design to have a getter
and a change signal for any kind of value.

Besides, I find hard-coding The One time daemon in the oFono plugin rather
silly. It's really nothing but an arbitrary design limitation that would be
overcome with a clean D-Bus API like we proposed several times.

> And not the time daemon go out and bother
> with additional sources etc.

Last time I checked, NTP clients "go out and bother" to ask the configured NTP
server, not the other way around. I fail to see reason why oFono should work
the other way around. I do see several reasons why it should not.

> And if you take the normalized time based on a monotonic clock, such a
> plugin that just send a D-Bus message to a time daemon is actually a lot
> simpler than exposing a full blown D-Bus interface.

It's very marginally simpler: one signal against one signal plus one getter
that will share much marshalling code with the signal. But that's irrelevant.
It actually works. The sole signal design is broken.

> So the plugin just has to store the normalized time in memory. And if a
> time daemon is present, then send out an update if needed, otherwise
> don't bother.

Oh? That would actualy be far more complicated, as the plugin would then need
to track down the presence of the time daemon. I see some contradiction here.

--
Rémi Denis-Courmont
Nokia Devices R&D, Maemo Software, Helsinki