On Saturday, June 14, 2003, at 12:47 PM, Joe Mucchiello wrote:

Are you manually putting in bookmarks? If so, what layout program are you using that you need do this?

I am insane (or just cheap) and do not own Acrobat. I use Word

Very sorry to hear that.

This time around, I plan to include an alphabetical table of feats in the bookmarks since feats appear throughout the text. Would Acrobat make this easier to do?

Acrobat doesn't necessarily automate the process of creating bookmarks, though Distiller can recognize elements in a document and create automatic TOCs, indexes and bookmarks, if the layout program supports them.

Out of Quark it takes me less than 5 minutes to create
everything necessary for a TOC and bookmarks. If I make
any changes, it is less than 5 minutes to fix it all and make
a new PDF with new bookmarks. I am just now starting down
the path of InDesign 2.0, but from what I can tell it does the
same thing.

But, neither of these programs are a cheap solution for those
looking to start from scratch, nor are they necessarily easy to
learn if you have no experience with similar programs.

Nothing I have heard about Acrobat has made me think it would save me significant time.

Acrobat is less of a factor and the layout program you are using. Acrobat is likely to give you better control over your PDF, though, and touchup work is also likely to be easier.

Thanks, I was just curious. Your comments made me curious
about how the small press d20 people do their stuff.

Leroy Van Camp III [EMAIL PROTECTED] ICQ #20039817

There is a time for bingo and there is a time for funerals. Try to keep them separate.