In a message dated 2/20/2004 3:28:49 PM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<<The question is: Do I _KNOW_ that the spells which are in a completely different chapter from the Diety Venca are in fact related to the diety? Or for my purposes are they just nameless spells and nameless dieties?

Does it matter if you know?  What are you proposing doing?

I would strongly argue for the position that if the spell reference and the deity information were in the same volume, then whether or not you knew what Vecna was, you'd blow it if you started referring to him.  If "Vecna" is PI, you are to review the PI declaration and avoid references to it.  That's your responsibility, to identify the word and avoid it if you can't otherwise figure out that the PI exclusions were narrower.

<<
And no, this is not just theoretical talk before someone chimes in. I have a real world similar example where I felt weird about claiming that a certain set of rules went with a certain name even though I was going to change the name.

Again, your question above seems lacking in clarity to me.  You have provided a vague example with almost no real question.

What are you intending to do?  Exactly how was the PI associated with Vecna stated?

Unless you are willing to go to the mat and challenge somebody's PI declaration as either invalid, or if valid, then void, you should just stay clear of trying to tinker with PI'd spell names.  Replace them outright.  It's really not that hard.  Really.

You may have a vast desire to just tweak the PI to see if you can sneak by.  Ideally, I'd avoid that urge unless you are willing to go to the mat.  It's so trivial to change a spell name if it's not merely "Vecna" that is PI'd, but also "Vecna's Hand of Doom" and "Vecna's Horrid Vomit".

If only the word "Vecna" is PI'd then you should be able to swap his name out for any other.  If the full spell names are PI'd then, if you want to play it safe, grab a totally different spell name.  You could try claiming that "Tony's Hand of Doom" is OK even though the entire spell name "Vecna's Hand of Doom" was PI'd.

Heck, even if you could get away with it you'd like earn the enmity of the author.  And for what gain?

Grab legal counsel if you have severe doubts but are desperate to try something anyway.  You may not need them, but an opinion from counsel who may have to represent you if you tap dance on the wrong person's land mine is probably warranted.

Heck, if you can afford a lawyer, I'd say whenever you have questions about the OGL that have a strong likelihood of violating the license, it's probably useful to check with him and not just list members here.

Lee