>  --- Peter Brink <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Also, in the EU the second sentence of article 7 in the OGL is
> > unlawful. In the EU a company cannot prevent other parties from
> > informing the general public about the compatibility of one product
> > with another. The effect of such a provision in a contract would not
> > be the same in all EU countries though; in Denmark and Germany, for
> > example, it would make the OGL unlawful as such, whereas in Sweden it
> > would only invalidate the specific provision and replace it with
> > applicable law.
>
> This is interesting as I am resident in the UK. Anything specific about
> the UK?

Yes. Specifically -- in the UK, and everywhere else in the known universe --
DO NOT ACCEPT NOR SOLICIT LEGAL ADVICE FROM STRANGERS OR EVEN FRIENDS ON THE
INTERNET. I'm sorry, but you really have to learn these fundamental truths:

1. Some people spouting law on the Internet don't know what they're talking
about. I don't have any reason to believe that's true in this case AT ALL,
but it's something you have to be aware of.

2. What's true in one jurisdiction may not apply in others.

3. What's true for one situation or person may not be true for another.
Circumstances can matter a lot.

In many cases, advice that says, "Don't do that, because it could be
trouble," is safe advice to follow. Is it CORRECT advice? Who knows? But not
doing something tends to be safe, unless it's something you're compelled to
do.

Advice that says, "Go ahead, we did it," or "Go ahead, so-and-so did it," is
straight from the Lemming School of Law. Don't trust it.

Advice that says, "Go ahead, our lawyer said it's OK, so we did it," is good
advice to take to YOUR lawyer and see if it applies in your case.

This list is a good place for general advice. There are a lot of experienced
people here. But for "specifically", you specifically need to talk to a
lawyer who represents your interests.

Martin L. Shoemaker
Microsoft MVP: Visual C#

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tablet UML: The UML tool you don't have to learn!
Now for sale at http://www.TabletUML.com!