On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> If the legalese is too vague, consider this.  Tim, tomorrow you start a brand
> new company.  You release a product.  You don't use the OGL.  But you write
> inside the front cover, "I feel that I am allowed to declare all my
> characters
> and poses as Product Identity as that term is used under the OGL, but my work
> is not covered by the OGL."  First, is this binding over anyone, since nobody
> will have you in their Section 15.

Unlike copyrights, trademarks, and patents, Product Identity of the
sort described in the OGL has no legal existence outside of the
OGL. The OGL serves, in many ways, as a replacement for or an addition
to existing copyright, trademark, and patent laws and practices -- but
only within the context of the license.

Let's take a more ridiculous example. Say someone publishes a novel
that has nothing to do with gaming. Say someone else publishes a
different novel that has nothing to do with gaming, and he uses a
similar font for the back-cover blurb. Can the first publisher
complain about the second publisher's Product Identity breach? I'd say
no, since neither product is publisher under the only license in which
the concept of Product Identity exists.

Now how is that different from the situation where one publisher is
party to the license but the other one isn't?

Spike Y Jones