On 12 Aug 2005 at 13:47, Spike Y Jones wrote:

> > Here is an idea - for these terms, since they are public domain,
> > include a statement of such.
> >
> > Example:
> > Public Domain terms: From Celtic Mythology, the following terms were
> > derived, <list terms here>
> >
> > This way you are officially declaring the source of your terms,
> > which also indicates that you are NOT using anybody else's PI.
>
> Depending on which reading of the PI terms of the license you go
> with, doing this isn't necessarily going to get you anywhere.

It will however be the start of a path that indicates that what
somebody else declared as PI is not the source of your use of those
terms. And that will help in case there is an issue over it.

Simply put, and I vaguely remember this being a topic of discussion
once before, if somebody declares something that is in the public
domain as PI, you are allowed to go back to the public domain
sources as being the point from which you derived such terms.

ThePublic Domain declaration would specifically indicate that this is
what was done in this instance, and specifically declares that the
author/publisher was not re-using the PI declared by the other
product. Think of it as a CYA measure.  :)

TANSTAAFL
Rasyr (Tim Dugger)
 System Editor
 Iron Crown Enterprises - http://www.ironcrown.com