> I'm willing to table that, and maybe even table that
> in your favor, ceding the
> point to your experience on the relative power of
> parties in the
> relationship.

That's a good idea, since the OGL is not by any
stretch of definition a contract of adhesion.

> It's also a contract, and you've even
> said privately to me that
> contract law applies to the OGL.

I agree.

> It is my understanding that typically, where one
> party is drafting a
> contract, where the other has no negotiating power
> with regards to the contract, that
> very often (though not always, depending on the
> nature and quality of the
> relationship), vague areas in a contract are
> construed against a party who drafts
> a contract unilaterally.

The reasons for that are because of some inequity in
the contract. This isnt one of those situations, IMHO.
And while contract law applies, this isnt a complex
contract. It is a very, very simple license. Very
simple to use. There are no terms that hurt the
licensee--no fee, no nothing. WotC is giving the
content away for free if you just do a few simple
things. NO COURT is going to feel WotC is exploiting
its alleged bargaining position. "Let me get this
straight counsel, you are arguing they are exploiting
their unfair bargaining position by giving you
basically the entire content of the industry leading
product for you to use and profit from and they arent
even charging a fee, requireing approval or anything?"
You'd get laughed out of court, in my opinion. This is
about as "selfless" a license as can be imagined.
Think about what courts normally see for licenses.

> Do you doubt that vague areas would tend to be
> construed against WotC's
> desired interpretations, in many, though probably
> not all cases?

I dont see the OGL as being construed either for or
against WotC. This isnt a situation where one party is
going to be "punished" for problems with the license
since there is no inequity here.

IMHO, any court construing the OGL will not construe
either for or against; instead the court will do two
things:

1. try to read the license harmoniously, looking at
all the language in the license as a whole.

2. look at the practice in the industry as to how the
license is interpreted and used.

Clark