On 9/9/07, James Paige <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 09, 2007 at 06:06:30PM +1200, Ralph Versteegen wrote:
> > On 9/7/07, James Paige <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Ack! How the heck did I forget hspeak? No wonder I had room for
> > > madplay+oggenc :(
> > >
> > Good news! We forgot UPX!
> >
> > After running game and custom through UPX on brute force strength
> > (eclipsed only by the ULTRA-BRUTE setting in terms of CPU wastage) I
> > managed add madplay, oggenc, plotdictionary.html and whatsnew.txt into
> > the floppy package with just 37kb of floppy space to spare. Yes, it
> > takes several minutes to compress each of game and custom, but we're
> > only doing it once.
> > Why did you leave whatsnew.txt out anyway? Forgot again?
> >
> > The commands: (should we add upx.exe to /support?)
> > upx --brute game.exe
> > upx --brute custom.exe
>
> Interesting. I had totally abandoned UPX, because when I last tried it
> (years ago) compressing with UPX compressed EXEs always resulted in ZIP
> compression what was worse than if I had never used UPX... but I didn't
> know about --brute, and I guess UPX's compression algorithms could have
> improved since then.
>
> > (If we were really desperate to squeeze out extra kB, we could
> > decompress oggenc, madplay and hspeak and recompress them at brute
> > force strength (which tries 36 compression settings), and do
> > SDL_mixer.dll too (compressed dll's can't be shared between programs
> > using the same dll, but this shouldn't be too big a problem for our
> > custom build)
>
> Actually, that is probably a good thing. Since we are not installing our
> dll's system-wide, it is better that they can't be shared with other
> apps.
>
> > We could run nightly builds of game and custom through UPX at --best
> > setting too: this shaves about 100kb off the zips, and only takes a
> > couple seconds.
>
> The nightyly builds run on a Qemu instance on a MacOS X box, and they
> are slooow, so it would be a heck of a lot more than a few extra
> seconds-- but it could still be worth it.

What's a floppy disk?

Seriously, this machine is now about 9 years old, and I can probably
count the number of times I've used a floppy on two hands (in fact,
the only occasion I can remember was when   I needed some files off my
Atari ST, which was a 720k floppy anyway).

I use USB drives for carrying things around these days, and my
smallest capacity is 16Mb.

I really don't see the point in spending a lot of time on this.

I'm sure UPX compression can be beaten by non-executable compression,
such as the free open-source 7zip. Is this distribution supposed to be
executable from the floppy or just unpackable from the floppy?

Simon