Thanks to both Thomas and Armin for their replies on
this thread.

Speaking for myself, I'm nervous about using OJB on my
current project, too, but I don't think the source is
entirely OJB.  A big part of it is fear of what I
DON'T know.  I very much liked the idea of using a
tool, developed by folks more expert than me.  I know
enought about JDBC to be able to do CRUD operations
and simple transactions, but the idea of having a
layer to abstract all that out of business objects was
appealing.

I heard Martin Fowler talk a few months ago.  He
mentioned using JAXOR as an O/R mapping tool.  When I
looked into it, I found NO documentation whatsoever.

Google quickly turned up OJB as an alternative.  I
liked it right away, because it had more documentation
than JAXOR, it the cachet of being a Jakarta project,
and the stuff that I did actually worked.  Now I've
got a tree of four tables linked with m:n
associations, all working in JUnit tests.

All that's well and good, but now I'm nervous about
that learning curve and what I'm ignorant of.  I've
done everything with the PersistenceBroker API because
it was easy to follow in the docs.  But now I'm
thinking that I should really be doing all of this
using ODMG API instead.  More learning, with a
deadline approaching.

Here's a fundamental question:

RDBMS developers have put a lot of effort into
maintaining referential integrity, managing
transactions, etc.  It seems to me that OJB is taking
over a lot of that stuff.  When I created my tables, I
didn't add foreign key constraints.  I left all that
to OJB.  The ODMG API will handle true transactions
and object/row locking.

But what if OJB isn't the only path into the database?
 A DBA might balk at leaving all those things that the
RDBMS would handle to OJB.  Is it possible still leave
foreign key constraints in the database so others
could use them without OJB?

My compliments to Thomas, Armin, and the team that
created OJB.  None of this fear is a reflection on
your excellent work.  It has more to do with the fact
that this is still a version 1.0 release candidate and
my own ignorance.  Sincerely, MOD

http://www.mail-archive.com/ojb-user%40db.apache.org/

> cheers,
> Thomas
>

> > Bonnie

C:\db-ojb-1.0.rc1\target\test\ojb\repository_database.xml,