Hi Bonnie,

Bonnie MacKellar wrote:
Yes, but if I can't get this tool running in our environment
(Weblogic, MSSQL, JTurbo), it won't help us at all.

There are happy OJB + WebLogic users. Several of them migrated from WebLogic CMP to OJB.

There are also happy OJB + MSSQL users.

I don't know of any users using the JTurbo driver.
We have excellent support for the JSQLConnect driver from http://www.j-netdirect.com/.

I know that there are large differences in the available SQLServer JDBC drivers. And I have no direct knowledge if there are any problems with JTurbo +OJB.

If there are such Problems it will be possible to work around it.
OJB uses a Platform interface to abtract from the underlying jdbc driver and database. All platform specifics can be encapsulated in a PlatFormJturboImpl if required. We have done this sucessfully for a large range of databases and JDBC drivers. Including such extravagant platforms like Tandem Nonstop SQL databases!

We had ruled out Castor because we had not heard great
things about it.

There seems to be no more active development on Castor.

I am not familiar with Hibernate or
Cayenne. I gravitated towards OJB because it looked a lot
like the design for the persistence layer that I had
already come up with (we all read the same papers I guess)

I agree. O/R is not rocket science. It is a well known and cartographed domain. So a good O/R implementation will make use of all the known best practices and patterns of that domain.
I sometimes say OJB has a "pattern driven" design, to reflect this best practise approach.

and because I had heard good buzz about it on other
bulletin boards.

We evaluated TopLink about 2 years ago and decided against
it.

why? I have made good experiences with TopLink. The only problem we had was the price tag. But afaik this has changed a lot since there are opensource alternatives available.

cheers,
Thomas

I don't know if things have changed in the meantime.

thanks,
Bonnie