Hello Florin,

[..]

I would expect OJB to generate roughly the same
SQL statement.  Provided that the execution of the SQL
dominates (which is questionable as Thomas and Armin
pointed out), I would expect about the same
performance.

Could you please capture the executed SQL statements
of both tests?  I really would like to see if
they differ.  I cannot imagine what Hibernate
does so much differently.

(Please refer to
FAQ "How can I trace and/or profile SQL statements executed by OJB?"
in http://db.apache.org/ojb/faq.html.  The instructions
should work for Hibernate, too.)

Olli