One more important thing.

Make sure your primary keys are unique across Documents _and_ Downloads.
Ie. If there is document #10 there should never be download #10

This is because they are in the same extent. If you retrieve a
collection of SupportItemI's then they need to have unique IDs, or a Bad
Thing(TM) will occur.

Depending on your DBMS, you can do this in a number of ways.
http://db.apache.org/ojb/sequencemanager.html explains it.
Set the same sequence-name for the primary key fields for all classes in
an extent (download and document).