I suggest also to use cross bracing tack welded to keep cab in shape.
Be careful where you lift so not to bend or distort.

Good Luck.

Just my Thoughts,
Walt

--- In old-chevy-truck@yahoogroups.com, "OC Radicic" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Gilbert,
> Had a similar road with my 50 3600...replaced floor, toe board and
cowels.
> Some critical points to remember are:
> 1. Use reference points as you tear down to assure your firewall
holes align
> and the firewall angle is rebuilt as it should be.  Measure and
record these
> measurements of where the holes are on the original and the slope
of the
> metal..as they will affect your assembly of the fenders, and
brake/clutch
> pedal shafts, etc.  Measure inside distances also...using permanent
features
> such as the battery box edge, emergency brake hole, and seat base
as a
> references.
>
> 2. I would suggest using the longer cowl repair panels as they give
you more
> options ...you can choose your cut lines at more convenient spots
if your
> rust is higher up.  Of course the short ones work if rust is only
on the
> bottom.  Mine extended almost up to the vents
>
> 3. I suspended the cab using my engine hoist pushing up on the
interior
> ceiling of the cab (Coming in from the side throught the window)
with a
> piece of 3/4 plywood adapted to my hoist to push up on the
ceiling.  (couple
> of jack stands for safety) but this allowed welding underneath and
took the
> weight of the cab to prevent any deformation from it's own weight
when you
> remove the whole floor, toe pan and cowels. It gets pretty flexible
when
> that part is removed.  I could also move it around the garage if
needed.
> Usually had to ask the wife for a hand there.
>
> 4.  I tacked the floor first aligning on seat base/door frame,
pulling the
> toe plate in doing alignment/slant and then tacked in the sides.
Don't
> permenantly weld until you are happy with the holes, slant, etc.
>

> The assembly manual does give some detail dimentions, but it was
generally
> for 54, and I believe the factory used some artistic license when
they
> assembled these trucks, so...suggest using your own dimentions
along with
> the manual just to assure the fenders and emergency brake assy
marry up
> well.
>
> Good luck!
> Gary
> 1950 Chev 3600
> Geneseo, IL
>
> >From: "buffulohunter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >To: old-chevy-truck@yahoogroups.com
> >Subject: [old-chevy-truck] rust repair
> >Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 04:30:42 -0000
> >
> >I need some advice regarding cab repair.  Unfortunately, my cab has
> >more rust than good sheetmetal, so I need to replace the toeboard,
> >floorpan, and the cowl panels on both sides.  Does anyone have
> >experience replacing all these panels that they could share?  Is
there
> >a particular order that they need to be replaced?  I am looking
thru my
> >assembly manual for a more detailed picture.
> >
> >I realize that looking for a replacement cab would be more cost
> >effective, but I have sentimental reasons for wanting to repair
this
> >one.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Gilbert
> >51 3100 5 window
> >Houston

> http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-
us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_pcmag_0507

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Yahoo! Groups Links