From: old-chevy-truck@yahoogroups.com [mailto:old-chevy-truck@yahoogroups.com]
On Behalf Of Tom Johnston
Sent: Monday, April 29, 2013 9:31 PM
To: old-chevy-truck@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [old-chevy-truck] no wheels (still)

First I want to thank all those who responded to my questions (subject: no
wheels). I gave every response serious consideration and followed up all
suggestions. But I have not yet found the answer. In review, I am seeking
wheels
for my 1946 Chevy 3/4 ton p/u. Steel wheels that look original, and will fit
700-16 bias ply tires. More precisely 16-4 1/2, 8 on 6 1/2 lug pattern. I
have been told that maybe mid 70s 3/4 ton Chevy wheels might work. Much
older than that, they used split rims, and much newer than that the trucks
had disc brakes and the wheels wont fit over brake drums.

What do people with older trucks, especially 3/4 ton and up, do about
wheels? Of course if you restore 100% original, to show, you must use what
came on it, ie, split rims. Correct? I'm pretty sure everyone else deep
sixes the split rims. If you don't care too much about staying original
there are more options, like using radial tires which can use wider rims,
and
perhaps go to 15 inch wheels. Some may even go to aluminium or mag or spoker
wheels. But I am one of those who think
that if you are not going the hot rod or rat rod route (and that's perfectly
ok), then it should at least look original. And for me that means bias ply,
high profile tires. I lived in the 1940s so I remember what these trucks
looked like.

But I am not locked into anything. I am keeping an open mind about it and if
I must go to lower profile tires then I will. But I need to do something. By
the way, I did consider the suggestion about putting it on rollers of some
kind, (the tires have rotted out from under this thing and it is sitting on
the old split rims). But I do need to be able to roll it out doors onto a
gravel driveway.

Tom