So sorry to hear that you wasted your time and got attitude to boot.   To use a
technical term: that sucks.

In case it matters I dealt with Shelli mostly.  I did have a totally different
experience.  I found a 16" van wheel which fit my 59 3200 perfectly and
accommodates the narrowest and highest-profile radial I could find.  From
memory they are LT 215/85R/16.  They look great (correct ride height).  I would
have to drill them for hubcap clips, but I thought they looked silly on those
bigger wheels anyway when I mocked it up.

Shelli was very patient with me and we shipped wheels back and forth a couple
of times.  There was a weird inconsistency with stock and manufacturer model
numbers and she eventually found me the right ones.

Maybe the wheels I got were from the 80's.

One of my alternatives was to actually have the wheels custom made.  There was
a wheel shop in Corona, CA I found who were smart and communicative.  I was
going to have to give them a SLEW of exact measurements, eg setback, etc. and
it was going to be pricey.