By all means, lets buy up the mid-east oil while keeping
ours in reserve.  But we do need to develop enough oil
sources, to keep the price reasonable.  If gas could be
delivered to the pump for $1.50, there is no reason to
fill the pockets of those people at $3 with no extra value
added.

More energy efficient machines of all kinds are good, my
latest fridge uses only half the energy.  But we have taken
this idea to the detriment of other factors in entirely too many
cases.  Designs I have seen for washing machine motors
are SOOO complex, that the machines will be expensive to
buy, short lived, and practically impossible to repair (does
this sound like  modern car?).  As long as the population
grows, we will need more energy; conservation alone
won't solve the problem.

Some people say there is oil out there, but the price to
get it will be very high.  Nuke might work, but I'm not
convinced that safety and waste problems are permanently
solved.  There have been incidents.  I wish they would
build a bunch of new ones, and shut this one off.  IL is
mostly Nuke.

Bruce (5 miles from Byron Nuke) Roe