On May 9, 2014, at 10:50 AM, Matthew Mabis <mma...@vmware.com> wrote:

> Hey All,
>
> I was wondering if there is any news on if OmniOS will support VAAI
> Extensions in the near future at all?

Two of them:  UNMAP and WRITE_SAME, have been in Illumos (and therefore OmniOS)
since 2011.  The last two:  XCOPY and ATS, were developed by Nexenta, and were
open-sourced as part of their NexentaStor 4 release recently.  These would need
to be upstreamed in to illumos proper at some point.

If you're feeling rambunctious, you can see what it takes to extract 'em from
https://github.com/Nexenta/illumos-nexenta/ and upstream them into the main
illumos-gate.  These were tricky, as COMSTAR isn't the most robust code to
begin with, but Nexenta's had real-world experience with all of the VAAI
primitives.

Dan