On 8/1/2011 5:51 PM, Marcus (OOo) wrote:
Am 08/01/2011 09:25 PM, schrieb Ross Gardler:
On 1 August 2011 18:20, Marcus (OOo)<marcus.m...@wtnet.de> wrote:
AFAIK the current projects at Apache doesn't have high download numbers
compared with OOo. So, a download request can point directly to a
mirror or
a mirror list is shown and the users have to choose themselves from
where to
get the software best.

I wouldn't make any assumptions about the current mirror
infrastructure. What you write above does not reflect how things work
here. The ASF is a pretty large collection of projects with some very
large numbers behind it.

I've looked at this both pages:

http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi
http://httpd.apache.org/download.cgi

When comparing it with the one from the current OOo project you should
be able to see big differences:

- too many links
- too much data on one page
- too much information to read to get an overview
- too less clear structure

There are two, mostly orthogonal issues to discuss here - which is why it's doubly important to better document what 1) features we think OOo needs on it's download pages, and 2) what software & capacity is being used currently for OOo downloads on the Oracle infra.

- Basic presentation of the download page. In most Apache projects, this can be controlled by the project. Thus we could better control the display of the physical download.cgi page itself within the Apache OOo project, to better explain to users what they want.

- Implementation of mirror choosing on the download page. This is for someone from infra to discuss.

Separately is how mirrors are managed and rsync'd, but I'm sure once we figure out the above parts there can be a plan for migrating (or adopting) the syncing to the mirrors.

- Shane

Please keep in mind that we have to deal with end-users. Maybe there are
a lot of power-users but even they prefer a simple and straight
solution. ;-)

Marcus

Does anyone here have the precise requirements and implementation
details of the existing mirror network? It would be really useful to
document that and take it to the infra team who can then evaluate what
changes, if any, need to be made to the existing system.