On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 8:34 PM, Jean Weber <jeanwe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/08/2011, at 10:25, "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org> wrote:
>
>> +1 on putting materials like the suggested list-post subject categories on
>> the community wiki.  I see no reason why it needs to be maintained anywhere
>> else requiring higher ceremony.

No one is going to find it on the wiki.  The new list subscriber,
signing up on the list, is typically going to find the list from this
page:

That is where the mailing list info is, the instructions on how to
subscribe.  That is also where we point to other mailing list
guidelines.  It is an ideal place to put the suggested topic tags,
putting the mailing list info together in one place.

If topic tags are changing at so rapid a rate that updating the
website for them is inconvenient, then we're probably misusing them.
If they are meant to be hints to human readers, then they can be fluid
and change frequently and allow small variations, like Twitter tags.
In that case, there is no need to document them.  Subscribers learn
the "folksonomy" by observation.  But if they are being used for email
inbox filter rules, hard coded into subscriber mail clients, then
these better be relatively fixed and we lose nothing by putting them
on the website.