On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 10:19 AM, Nóirín Plunkett <noi...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 4:11 PM, Rob Weir <apa...@robweir.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'm assuming that it is the new list subscriber that benefits most
>> from this.  Existing subscribers will just follow the conventions they
>> observe being used on the list.  Or do you expect to regularly check
>> the wiki to see what new subject tags Simon has added?
>>

> I think it's highly unlikely that the new list subscriber will read
> this in either location; I think the people who are most likely to
> read it are those who've been on the list a few days, see that there
> are a few tags floating around, and that the volume of mail is hectic.
> (Yes, I know the static page says c. 57/day. I also know that most
> people have no concept of what that means as an addition to their
> normal mail flow.)
>
> I expect those people not to be sure what to look for or where, but I
> hope if they've seen a reasonably prominent mention on the static page
> saying "This is a high-volume mailing list. Please use clear, relevant
> subject lines, and consider using an appropriate tag for your mail. A
> list of tags is available at [link].", that they'll figure it out.
>
> I think the value of opening up that list to a broader range of
> contributors is worth the cost of the extra click.

The range of contributors to the website is identical to the range of
contributors to the wiki.  The only difference is in the wiki case
they need to take the additional step to sign up for an account on the
wiki.  In other case they merely submit a patch to the mailing list
they are already subscribed to.  So in terms of effort, the patch
route is simpler for the contributor.