There was an interesting blog post [1] over the weekend by Michael
Meeks, which was picked up by the tech press [2] with predictably
somber notes.

I'd summarize it as saying that merging code Apache code into
LibreOffice will be really difficult, especially since LibreOffice has
made widespread source changes.

Is there anything we can do to help LibreOffice out here?

Or is the problem really all that big?  The fact that diff -u finds a
bazillion lines of differences is really not interesting.  Since both
projects have a common parent code base, the relevant technique would
be a 3-way merge, right? Of course, widespread reformatting in one
code base can make a mess of that.  But isn't that solved simply by
applying identical reformatting to both code bases before doing the
3-way merge?

Anything else we should be doing? (Or not doing?)

I admit that this is not purely a humanitarian gesture on my part.
The things that make it easier to for LO to use AOOo code also make it
easy for Symphony to use it, for RedOffice to use it, for anyone to
useit.  Easy-of-integration, merging, whatever, should (I think) be a
top-level goal for the project.

-Rob

[1] http://people.gnome.org/~michael/blog/2011-09-06.html
[2]