On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 4:09 PM, Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org> wrote:

> There was an interesting blog post [1] over the weekend by Michael
> Meeks, which was picked up by the tech press [2] with predictably
> somber notes.
>
> I'd summarize it as saying that merging code Apache code into
> LibreOffice will be really difficult, especially since LibreOffice has
> made widespread source changes.
>
> Is there anything we can do to help LibreOffice out here?

I doubt we can do it if they want t be different. Right now there are talks
about dropping all alternative formats and becoming an ODF only editor.
However there are many other reasons why developers might want to change
things too much to make it non trivial. At the same time, is up to them to
fix it. We can only add comments or study their changes and have some kind
of alerts.

The other reason is for developers to work on both code tree and their
modifications need to be sanitize by each QA groups.

> Or is the problem really all that big?  The fact that diff -u finds a
> bazillion lines of differences is really not interesting.  Since both
> projects have a common parent code base, the relevant technique would
> be a 3-way merge, right? Of course, widespread reformatting in one
> code base can make a mess of that.  But isn't that solved simply by
> applying identical reformatting to both code bases before doing the
> 3-way merge?

Dependencies are usually the big issue here, which files depends on which
other file, to generate the right construct. Since LibO also plan to drop
things like Java and Basic depends on what will they repllace it with. Even
there has been of reformating the toolkits on VCL.  I would of course wonder
if we could copy the code over to AOOo in reverse engineer fashion so that
the code seems more like LiBO.

--
*Alexandro Colorado*
*OpenOffice.org* EspaƱol