On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 3:42 PM, Tor Lillqvist <t...@iki.fi> wrote:

> > The question is why do we need this? I would think
> > all supported platforms have standard conformant
> > C/C++ libs.
>
> Yeah, but the code uses non-standard library functions, apparently.
> See external/glibc/makefile.mk. Apparently what's needed is getopt()
> and readdir_r().
>
> > In the same line of questioning, but not a license
> > issue, why do we need STLport?
>
> (In LibreOffice we don't use STLport any more on any platform.) Your
> code presumably still relies on some STLport stuff on Windows. Anyway,
> even if AOOo itself wouldn't use STLport itself, if you want to be
> binary compatible with binary extensions, those might rely on the OOo
> installation containing a STLport shared library so you need to build
> and ship it.

that is correct but i would say it's a minor issue. Extensions where the
source is available can be easy recompiled and others have to be recompiled
by the vendor if they are still supported. I don't expect too many C++
extensions because of well known reasons. If we detect critical C++
extensions that are not longer supported we can handle them special.
Especially for C++ extensions i would always recommend to use a max version
dependency.

In the long term i would suggest that we remove STL_port as well and use the
compiler version.

<side step - better addressed in a new thread, excuse me>
By the way it would be very nice if such work on the code could be shared
between the projects that rely more or less on the same base ;-)
Independent on the promotion, supporting, etc. on a specific brand we should
really think how we can come back to one common source to bundle the
developer resources. In the long term we have only success if we work
together because our goal is the same. The best free available and stable
office productivity suite.

Juergen