You can get anything off of the web interface of SVN at the individual level
without it being in a working copy, though of course it has to be somewhere
local while it is being processed in a build.

But if you check-out the trunk, you get everything that is in the trunk HEAD
(or a specified) version.

As far as I know, you can do a check-out anywhere deeper in the tree and avoid
everything not at that node [and below].  For example, just checkout
trunk/main.

It takes some consideration of SVN organization to have the desired flavors in
convenient chunks that people can work with without having to eat the whole
thing (with regard to SVN checkout, SVN update and, of course, SVN commits).  I
can testify that an SVN UDPATE of the working copy of the entire incubator/ooo/
subtree is a painful experience, even when there is nothing to update.

 - Dennis

PS: I find it an interesting characteristic of SVN that trunk, tags, and
branches are just names of folders and don't mean anything special to SVN.  The
nomenclature and it is use is a matter of custom, like code indentation rules