On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 4:54 AM, Ross Gardler
<rgard...@opendirective.com> wrote:
> On Sep 28, 2011 3:06 AM, "Rob Weir" <robw...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> So total silence.  Is that the best we can come up with?
>
> One problem is that what is being asked for here is a voluntary time
> commitment. Typically volunteers don't want to be tired to a schedule.

An editorial calendar is schedule for publishing the blog posts, not a
schedule for writing them.   An author can write the post anytime up
to 3 days before the publication date (to allow for lazy consensus).
Since we have dates set out up to a year in advance, this gives
volunteers a large range of dates to play with.  But if a volunteer
feels they cannot be "tied to a schedule" that amounts to "any time
you feel like it within the next year", then I'm happy to extend the
calendar to two years ;-)

> I'd suggest that a better approach is to just encourage people to write
> stuff as and when they can. Raise visibility of their contributions here on
> the list. Thank them profusely. currently there is no visibility of what is
> going on on the blog, I suggest cross-posting here.

I think we're saying the same thing.  But I do want to avoid a flood
of posts when I send reminders, followed by a drought when there are
no reminders.  Let's get a pipeline of posts, written by volunteers
"as and when they can" and then turn that irregular stream of
contributions into a steady pulse for publication.