On Sep 30, 2011, at 8:48 AM, Ross Gardler wrote:

> On Sep 30, 2011 4:35 PM, "Dave Fisher" <dave2w...@comcast.net> wrote:

>> I see no reason to stop offering PPMC membership with Committer status. If
> the person chooses not to be on the PPMC that is fine.
>>
>> It is not that I don't think this topic is important, but I think a more
> important discussion is what parts of the project might require direct PPMC
> member involvement as opposed to merely questioning and having appropriate
> transparency into all parts to provide oversight. Do we need a PPMC member
> directly administrating forums and wikis? Do we need the PPMC to provide a
> generally "Lazy Consensus" approval of committers and other contributors
> filling roles within the Forum or Wiki administration? Should the PPMC
> require certain parts of the community to report status periodically?
>>

> From a purely ASF point of view there are very few things that require PMC
> oversight. the following are the only ones that jump to mind:
>
> - release votes (which equates to IP  due diligence)

Here is my concern with limiting the PPMC too soon. Having been through a
release vote it is important to know that the (P)PMC members who vote are
affirming that they have actually performed the appropriate tests - which means
checking license headers and packaging. Fortunately RAT is available to help,
but this is a big lift and I expect that for OOo it will take each PPMC voter
at least a day to do this properly. Even on PPMCs with 7 or 8 active members
getting the 3 +1s in a week is difficult.

I see no point limiting PPMC membership until we experience a release vote and
cycle as a podling.

> - new committers/PMC members
>
> The project may define a few other areas, but that's up to the project.

Important for us all to keep in mind. Thanks!

Regards,
Dave